Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Signs of all Times

You know what semiotics means? I just found out yesterday. I is the study of signs, put simply. It is not a simple subject. I am a bit excited over having this little bit of information. It adds another missing piece to the jigsaw puzzle.
We humans got where we are by our ability to think abstractly. Abstract thinking is symbolic. Symbolic thinking is a great tool, but as with nearly any tool, requires caution. Even the innocuous cotton swabie thingy has the power to harm, if used recklessly.
This is about all I know about semiotics, the rest I am making up. Bear with me. The King is going fishing. I have written about our tendency to confuse the map with the territory or the menu with the meal. Shopping for vegetables is not the same as growing a garden, or going gleaning. Relating to a person based upon past perceptions is not the same as seeing them anew. (That one is tough for me as I am stuck on being judgemental, can you hear the gnashing of my teeth? God, how I hate to admit my shortcomings;) What are the symbols of status in this society? Name the corporate logos, will ya. Flash the cash, fling the bling bling. Wear a suit and the peeple will kowtow. Badges, pins and letters behind a name. We are heavily inundated with signs and symbols and we don't believe in what our gut/heart tells us.
Guess I'm eating worms again, there's no fish in this puddle.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.