Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

In between worlds

It starts with my alarm, set to go off at 6:30. Nearly every morning it jangles me awake, signaling the start of the tug of consciousnesses. Between sleep and wake, like a Kingfisher I dive under to dream and to wake, dream and wake. Over and over, half hour cycles. I will do this for up to three hours, watching the theatre of my mind, the possibilities and improbabilities made tangible. As a child I dreamt of money, big coins that I could still feel in my hand on waking, though inexplicably vanished from my sure grasp. I have heard it said that we should judge a man, not by his acts, rather by his dreams. Knowing my dreams, I am reluctant to be judged. Weird stuff goes on. So weird that at times I think I am a stranger to my own mind.
I dive back down, having set my countdown times for 30 minutes. There is a bubble of warmth under my blankets that I fit into just right. My comforter I pull over my shoulder, across the back of my head. I close the canopy and strap on the helmet. All systems are Go. I taxi down the runway.
What most fascinates me about my dream life, is how at times it comes to me during the day. Something might trigger the memory of a dream I had twenty years ago. Maybe a smell or an association, maybe nothing I can put my finger on. A dream will surface in it's entirety, like watching a whole movie in a second, all the scenes acted out at once. What the hey!
I wonder. Wonder.
My countdown timer goes off. It is time to reflect. I think about getting up, going to the cafe. At seven, it will be very quiet, I could write. Or drink coffee next to the channel. Naw, no urge yet. I reset the timer and go back under. When next it goes off, I have lived months in a foreign place, complete with stamped passports and cheap souvenirs. Seven thirty. It is bright light outside. Time to get up and leave the dream world behind. I reset my alarm. I get up and feel the floor under my feet. I've stepped into a boat, what am I doing? Here? in a boat? Am I fishing? Yes, there is a tiny dwarf fishing rod in my hand. Funny, I didn't even notice that rod nor that I fish. Well, I might as well sink a worm and see what bites. Wait-a-minute, I just had that rod in my hand, where did I put it? And what is that noise? Damn, that is annoying.
Its my alarm! What time is it, lets see, I was about to get up when I fell back to sleep. It was 7:30 then, so it must be eight now. I dreamt about fishing, yes, reset the alarm, just a few more minutes---

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.