Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Indian drumming

It starts this time of year. The drumming. Drifts across the channel at night, loud and insistent. It is the Swinomish People continuing their old traditions. They gather in a big building and drum and dance and work their magic, a magic that we white folks are oblivious to. We watch T.V. We are spectators. They are creators.
Once, I heard the drums and followed a yearning. I was incredibly drunk and without inhibitions. I felt the need for something cohesive. I went to where the drumming came from. By the back door I entered their church, uninvited and under the influence of a drug that they had battled with for centuries. I saw a glimpse of what they do there.
Of course, I was ejected.

So what is it that I was seeking, in my "state". What are we, as "civilized" folks, missing? I wonder what place inside of us, an empty place, there is that we need to fill with some primal chant.

I still long for that. With all that I have, I am empty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I experienced a lot of drumming sessions, pow-wows, squaw dances, and healing ceremonies with my Navajo friend. She'd come and pick me up any time at night for a "drums of summer" somewhere in the reservation, and yes, that is an unforgettable thing. I'd be glued to the drummers circle in a sort of transe like state, and felt at home. Now my friend is not in this world anymore, but I keep all the tapes and CD's she'd offered me of native drums. I like to listen to then full blast. Next time you hear the drumming call me!

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.