Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Friday, December 01, 2006

Ransom Gretchen

Winter brings with it higher heating bills and Gretchen, the proprietress of THE CAFE, here on the south side of La Conner, gets real stressed trying to make make ends meet in the face of higher utility bills. So to urge the cavalry to come to the aid of a beleagered sweetheart, we have been asking for donations to help with the extra costs.
As it turned out, a little joke I made became the basis for a plea for help. I've been writing some stuff about a kidnapping of Gretchen and a demand for ransom. The story evolved ever more preposterous and the humor seems to help loosen pursestrings, along with the enormous goodwill that Gretchen has acrued.
We are planning a couple of fundraisers and the group has responded with generosity and creativity. So far we have $250. Marilyn Johnson brought in some stocking caps she knitted, sold by donation to go into the "ransom fund". We are planning to have a soup, bread and desert dinner on the 13th and we have some volunteers to make dishes. There will be some other events and permutations.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.