Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Odiferous Nature of Dogs

Jane has been suspended as one of the occasional dogwalkers at the cafe. Why? The last three times she returned Buddy in a somewhat questionable state. Buddy, of course, comes back from a jaunt with Jane as exited as a kid who just ate three Twinkies washed down with a quart of Coke. I can just imagine that he is beside himself with pride over the gift he is about to share with the pack of coffee sippers.
Breathtaking is one way to describe it. Just about brings tears to the eyes. His altruism turns quickly to shame as he gets excommunicated from the cafe and rejected and dejected, pouts outside. Any attempt to share the pungent gift with the Humans is rudely shouted off. He never learns. Dog manners and Man manners have taken different forks on the evolutionary trail years ago.
Now, that makes no sense to me. If you find a certain scent that is pleasant to the nose, why not rub yourself onto someone else, so that the effect, like a potluck, is enjoyed by all. Dogs do not suffer from the delusion of separation that plagues us. Which is why the patron Saint of the Cafe is Saint Bernard, brandy keg included, natch.

1 comment:

Annabelle C.Vergne said...

No, dogs never learn. Read my post about Mr.B's adventure today!

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.