Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Thursday, April 20, 2006

get simple

When I ride my bike to the cafe, I have two choices. I can go up a hill or I can skirt the hill and go by the water. I prefer the way by water, it is scenic and feels expansive. Also a bit less taxing, not that the three block petal qualifies as a road trip. The water is a channel but it looks like a river. Across from us in La Conner is an Indian Reservation for the Swinomish tribe. They talk real slow. I find that when I talk to one of them, I tend to match their tempo and delivery. I am learning to talk slow and soft, also.
I am a packrat, by nature. In short time, I will fill any available space with all sorts of crap. Throwing stuff out is traumatic. I need help, someone to stand by me and urge me to get rid of stuff, ignore my pleas of mercy and "it might come in handy". As a carpenter I own several saws that don't work or that I don't like (keep them just in case). Some might say that as a carpenter I don't work or don't like to. I would have to hang my head and grit my teeth. Damn.
So what does talking slow and saying "NO" to crap have to do with simplicity? I will explain shortly; first lets add another ingredient to this verbal dish. Dogs. Dogs are, if not my heroes, at least teachers. They are simple and yet sophisticated. Or, lets say that their simplicity lends itself to a subtle sophistication. Dogs know what is important and they are not easily fooled. I have observed them very carefully and I have noted a few facts: Dogs do not have pockets. They do not naturally watch T.V. nor pay taxes. They do not put on airs though they at times do pout. Mostly they are concerned about immediate things, like food and the indescribable softness of a concrete sidewalk. What magic, to convert a hard concrete slab into a fine bed! What sophistication! With some neccesary exceptions, dogs live in the moment, do not concern themselves with what ifs and should-haves and just .................... trust.
There is a word for putting human qualities onto animals and nature. I think that word is "anthropomorphise", and it implies a tendency to see patterns where they do not realy exist. So some would say that I am just anthro-po-something or other the deal with dogs and stuff. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That is true. If I were real simple, I wouldn't be blogging, I would be fishing or better yet, drinking. Fishing while drinking! I am getting thirsty, what a long day, it is nearly noon. I forgot why I started writing this.......

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.