Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Sunday, November 19, 2006

power out(age)

It got real dark on Wednesday night. We lost electricity. Here at the cafe, it started during NoMike Open Mike. We found some birthday candles and it was magic. The light from a candle is the best for ambiance, so we plan to do it again in a few weeks. I spent a lot of time outside, enjoying the change from the routine, the strong gusts of wind, the cleared night sky and the distant flashes of thunder. A man walked by with a flashlight and asked me if I had seen a black Lab. I had to laugh, it was nearly an absurd question, a black dog in a pitch-black night. It was as if I was in a dream.
I watched the ladies tend the candles. I thought about the significance of the candlelight, their faces illuminated by that soft glow, held in the circle of light. Afterward, we decided that it was one of the better evenings. We have had a lot of better evenings, lately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the reason why it was so great is that it brought us back to the magic of light. In immemorial times, all they had was fire light. And before that, when humans figured out how to make fire, that was Magic, with a capital M. Nowadays candlelight events are still somewhat, deep inside of us, perceived as magic. That's why we love them. They also bring us back to the child within ourselves. And they also have that magic power to soften everything, and to make inhibitions vanish, because we instantly go back to what we used to be, just simply humans, fragile, vulnerable, dependant on each other. Candles -or campfires- revive that sense of community. I am converted to the cult of FIRE!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.