Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Breaking In

Last Sunday morning one of the regulars at the cafe found herself locked out of her house. As she was planning to anyway, she stopped at the Cafe, after her run and asked for help. At least the use of a cell phone and the number of a locksmith. I was studiously immersed in some internet interest, when I was asked if I could pick locks. Now another man might have googled lock picking, I volunteered to try to break into her house. My reasoning was that she might have overlooked an obvious solution, like the garage door was left unlocked or ditto with a window.
When we arrived at her house, I did the hopeful search for an easy way in. I checked said garage door, ugfff, nope, well secured. All the windows had sticks. The back door felt solid like it had resolve against the casual door-kicker. The sliding glass doors, had their feet planted firmly. No easy ingress, alas.
She tried to call the locksmith and he was not at home. Break a window? Ouch, big hit to the wallet. All the while, I heard in my head this inane sentence:"for every problem, a solution lies close at hand". I tried, with a strip of metal (a garden plant marker), to lift the window locking wooden stick in one of the kitchen windows. I pushed the strip between the glass panes and lifted up on the stick, but it moved over and out of reach. I needed a piece of stiff wire. I asked her if she had some metal wire and sure enough, in her patio planter were two pieces, just the right size. Bending the end into a lazy hook, I was able to lever the stick up and out of the way. Voila, she climbed in and retook possession of her home, doors and windows intact.
I write this to illustrate a point.
There is a lot more at the Cafe than coffee.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.