Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Why, Art?

Art, of course serves many purposes. That is why it is blended into our history, like a golden thread woven into fabric. Even graffiti, the least of the Arts. Funny that graffiti would pop up in this 'entry'. I got to thinking about the Art that was 'done' on the street Saturday evening. I know why the Artist did that, but nothing has a simple past or meaning. This was done by an accomplished young Artist. It was done boldly and it was mildly controversial. The Crime Scene Outline held the hint of a pistol and had a red heart. While I watched him draw, I thought that the piece would be controversial and I held the disquiet I felt.
A friend approached me later on Sunday and said that the pistol bothered him/her. Tried to erase it. I understood. We rid ourselves of what is offensive, like hunting down a vague stink coming from the basement. Perhaps we can't find it, or we no longer notice it or just slightly. Perhaps we have made a deal with the elements and come to accept the stench of things or events as part of the burden of life. Perhaps we think it is us.
Along comes a chipper soul and announces: "Hey, it stinks here."
Sideways glances and gritting teeth. Why can't you be nice, we demand of the Artist, paint some pretty pictures, you know, Real Art. Like Magnificent Landscapes (said with broad gestures of the hands, like fishing lies). Or Still Lives (like our own Lives) that look like photos. Something that is uplifting.
Poor guy, it is all he can do to get through the days, to mark the weeks and years passing.
Creativity is a flighty lover, comes dressed for the costume ball. Never know what you will get. Sometimes you settle for a wink, sometimes a breathtaking and earth shattering orgasm. The Artist is just the tool, an extension on the brush. Like the paint, the artist too is the medium. Scraped, scratched, blowdried and overlaid. Who knows who really runs the show.
Have I woken in a Genet play?
My mentor Steve said: "If it isn't hated by the provincial, it isn't Art."

2 comments:

gida said...

i visited my daughter recently and we traipsed a mile or three to the chicago art museum. i forked over 24 bucks and we stolled through the exhibit room that they are best known for: impressionism. there were goo gobs of kids running about with their teachers and notebooks in hands. we couldn't get close. weeda been better off srolling through the pages of an artbook.
wanna look around I asked Leah.
no she replied and we moseyed.

i had a similar experience in carmel, california where i was invited to reside. right by the sea,the most beautiful spot in the country and maybe the planet sayeth my potential landlord. i couldn't get close to the sea, there were so many pee opal
milling and driving about in their vehicles talking about how wonderful it was to be in the most beautiful city in the world.
i felt suddenly like i was covered in ants and they weren't even dressed in chocolate.

gida said...

the previous comment is an addendum to your "group mind" of May 2nd.
My point being:
There were many works of art we missed enroute in our eagerness to have our cultural fix confirmed by the head hauncho. We ended up having tired feet and collapsing inner ear. But at least we now know that we got ourselves a littul bit more culturefried.

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.