Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Spectator Sport at the Cafe

Here at the Cafe, the undisputed heart of the universe, a favorite spectator sport is watching the dogs play. Now, dogs are mostly adolescents all their lives. They love playing keep-away, fetch, tug and romp. They are definitely smarter than I, in many respects. Yesterday I watched Lucy and the newest dog on the block, Tug (Tugger), play 'get the stick'. There is a lot of growling and running. Mostly, Lucy stays on the sidewalk, which makes us feel better, as we are concerned about them getting carried away and running into a car.
Tug gets driven here by Rick, in Rick's Toyota truck. Tug is about half the size of Lucy, but makes up for it with lots of energy, speed and determination. He gives Buddy a break, as Lucy buggs Buddy into playing when he would prefer to keep the sidewalk warm. She does that by chewing on Buddy's hind legs until he responds and starts a little roughhousing. She has learned to use her hips and slams them into Buddy (or me). She definitely throws her weight around.
Tug gets offended when a big truck drives by. Big trucks growl and Tug chases them to let them know he is not even a bit intimidated. He looks like a Tasmanian Devil, or a racoon. Buddy on the other hand gets offended when a car with a barking dog drives by.
The other spectator sport is 'rate the park job'. More on that later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know a dog like Tug .His name is Achilles....yeah Achilles...little guy weighs all off 6 or seven pounds..I believe he's a silky terrierist. He's held under control on an expandable leash that seems kinda thin to me given his outsized disposition.His well heeled owner (A well meaning Republican,they do exist),walks him by my jobsite every afternoon at noon like clockwork.
Anyway(s)(dumbing down) this little tweaker has to be held back withgreat determination every time a vehicle passes.Achilles wants to shred cars and trucks.The bigger the more he wants at it. Cement truck ,Garbage truck...whoa Logging Truck look out...hes coming for YOU! I love this dog.
This is David and Goliath incarnate...a metaphor for every little guy who's had to fight against the have's and Have more's to have slightly more than they already have.
A minature hero in a silky brown coat. A munchkin for the masses. And so on.
God bless Achilles....

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.