Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Downloading, uploading and rebooting

Well, I have had my new computer for about five days now. It is somewhat a Greek Tragedy. There is comedy and loss. I have been intensely fooling around with it, frantically stripping programs and effects like a refugee trudging to safety, discarding what he doesn't absolutely need; like peeling an onion, layer after layer. (By the way, I am expecting some problem and will need to re-boot shortly.)
The difficulty is that I am a shallow computer user. I am never going to master this technology, it is moving far out of reach even as I write this. I just want the internet portal to work, so that I can write my blog entries, read about weird and strange stuff, broaden my horizons. I am impressed with the scope of the whole internet phenomenon and the promise it holds. (I am now due for some software incompatibility and a frozen keyboard.)
I have spent a solid week hanging out at the cafe, reading and researching the intricacies of this operating system, now known as the Gates to Hell. I have not even scratched the surface of this convoluted, tied and twisted puzzle. Now doubt, for the inclined this Rubic's cube is a delightfull source of pleasure and money. (I am overdue for a crash and I am becoming concerned that somesthing horrible is in the works.)
Even as I read and pick-up bits here and there, I move further and deeper into Computer Kansas. And I have benefited. I have had the experience of deep frustration, with visions of hammering the machine to pieces, bouncing it off the walls and floor, launching it into the air off the rainbow bridge and hearing the satisfying splash that seals it's fate. Oh,the delicious endings that I have visualized.
What gets me is the smugness of Apple owners. How often have I heard the honking of drivers while I, broken down on the side of computer road, near tears, have had to endure:"My Mac doesn't do that." (What is going on? Why hasn't the operating system crashed yet?)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.