Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Monday, June 18, 2007

Provincial Mentality

The San Bushmen of the Kalahari Desert work about three hours a day to make their living. Their environment is harsh, with few resources. The rest of the time, they socialize, sing and party. How is it that they have such a leisurely lifestyle, living in such a difficult environment? Chew on that one for a while, if you have teeth. If you don't, I will chew it for you shortly.
Although I am not widely traveled, I grew up in Europe, spent some time in the Orient and traveled extensively in Mexico. I have lived in a number of places. As a result I have experiences that give me some where to stand to notice differences in how people live. I have had the pleasure to be in the presence of truly remarkable Individuals, who appear as ordinary as any taxi driver, carpenter or waiter. Especially in Mexico, where the population tended to be well educated and open minded. I learned a lot about deep politics of the U. S. from the Mexicans.
Recently I have been reading a wide range of subjects, due (in part) to conversations I had with two lucid Mexican men, who clued me in to the fact that I had been lied to (at best) and mentally lazy (at worst, which is my opinion, as they both were far too civilized to point it out). I had soaked-up the popular (American) view of how the world works. It is a fable, a myth and pure propaganda. As such, I have had the onerous task of re-aligning the myopic outlook of a bunch of self-righteous, know-it-all, dis-educated village idiots, that just howl like bad brakes in a freeway pile-up, when their truth is threatened.
I am reminded of one individual, in particular, who was unabashedly proud of his lack of discernment. Nothing you can do or say with one of these; not even neutron stars are that dense.
Which brings me round to the San bushmen. They have nothing. No money, no oil or water, nothing. They need nothing. Their lives are in perfect harmony with their environment and has been so for at least 50,000 years. If they have to change, it will be to adjust to Western Culture, which will bring progress and diet Coke and alcohol to improve their lives.
The U. S. is bleeding money. There is not enough for stuff like pay raises, infrastructure and education. People are working more and more and getting less and less. Inflation is raging. The rats are eying each other and picking out the weak to eat.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.