Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Bad Coffee

Now, don't get me wrong, they are real nice people, but the coffee at the Fruit & Produce market is truly wretched. But, it is cheap and you can drink all you want. Now, after the first assault on the taste buds, when you have them at the surrender table, after all the gagging and eye rolling is over, you get to dictate the conditions.
"This is good coffee, isn't it?" Not a question, more an accusation. Your Staff Officers are enjoying this, snickering.
"The coffee is wonderful." He replied with a tear rolling down a cheek.
"How about another cup?"
A slight hesitation. You note the beads of sweat popping off is forehead.
"I would love another cup." This said with a mixture of revulsion and resignation. The Staff are laughing out loud.
"Gentlemen!" Said with authority yet an edge of hilarity.

I shuffle off to the coffee counter, where one pump pot is labeled "Organic Coffee". I push down on the top. A short squirt is followed with an empty whoosh. Over to the "Regular Coffee", another push, another squirt and the empty gurgling. Both pots are empty and I have less than half a cup. In the center is the decaf. I fill the cup, add creamer and sugar. I shuffle back out front, over to the side where the round, red, industrial picknick tables and smokers refuge is located.

He is sipping the coffee. His stomach muscles, the last holdout to the abomination that is being forced down, begin to spasm. Your Staff are pushing away from the table and each firmly plant both feet on the deck, making ready to spring out of the way.
"About the best coffee you ever had!" This said with such sarcasm that each word drips venom, each syllable a daggers' jab.
His "Yes" is a mere squeek.
Time to rub salt into the wound. "Pardon me?" Hardly a question, more a blatant threat.
"I said yes" Pleading and servile.

You take a deep breath, square your shoulders and put on a stern, yet benign face.
"Finish your cup and let's get to work, unless--" here you hesitate, looking down at your fingernails, inspecting then critically, then to his cup, where you linger for a couple of seconds. You look up into his teary eyes, pinning him to his seat, when you deliver the coup de grace:
"Unless you want another cup!"

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.