Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Weirdness

We all inhabit two worlds. One is the "actual", the other the "subjective". For the past few years I have tried to integrated the two and it has been like giving the Kitty a bath. For a long time I didn't know about the two worlds, I thought that there was only one and that I pretty much knew what was up. Oh, I knew that I didn't know everything about this world, some stuff that I could integrate into my head with time, leisurely, easily, like a stroll along the lake; observing the Jesus Bugs or the Fiddlehead Ferns. There is time to learn the Latin names if I would be so inclined. And I am not, so inclined. But that's alright. I had it down and everybody was more or less in agreement.
I don't remember when I got the "Heads up!" Maybe I knew all along that something was missing, something important. The Kitty needed a bath for years and years.
The first thing about integrating the two worlds is that the subjective is waaaaay bigger than the actual. It is inflated. I am inflated. In getting the two together, it is a lot like putting a small nut (me) onto a oversized bolt. In the dark, with freezing cold fingers. Good luck. So it calls for some deflation and that means clearing off the table. Gotta start with an empty table.

Everything we know maybe wrong.

I hate getting rid of crap. My table is full of notions and laws and rules and tricks. I separate terribly with everything. I am really scared to be without my comforts. It is all I have. I love my crap, even if it don't smell so good.
Lately I have been thinking about something that very few people have a clue about. Oh, I know full well that we all know, but there is the social contract; we agree to not see or if we see, do not talk about:

This world is one hell of a strange place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if everything we know is wrong? Very thoughtful post Robert. What we think is just what we think.. We each have a model of how to move through life, whether that's conscious or not. We confirm our model by looking for data to support that which we've heavily invested in. It's scary, and also liberating to toy with the notion that we may be wrong about a lot. One of my college profs spoke of this often...about how our models both help us and limit us. But what is right? Your views on things are nothing more than a legitimate way to look at things...one of many ways. I wonder if we instinctually know more via our "gut" than we do intellectually? I know my gut has guided me home through some terrifying times as a climbing guide, paddler, etc. I trust it, even though I'm not sophisticated enough to understand it. Perhaps that's why it's so powerful. Not knowing is OK for me, and liberating in fact. You are a great writer. I visit your blog rarely, but enjoy it when I do.
BTW, years ago I developed (with some subconscious training) a taste for bad coffee. That has served me well throughout my travels. Bad is relative! Murray

Anonymous said...

"Everything we know maybe wrong."
Yes, and it won't be the first time it happens. We humans think we're so smart, didn't we once hold for a fact that the earth was flat? Didn't millions of Germans think the Nazi regime was the best? And aren't today scientists, as well as the majority of people, convinced,through what we call scientific evidence, that the remedy to all our aches and diseases lies in the ingestion of chemicals?
I'd tend to think that the actual world and the subjective world aren't necessarily seperated, as I believe that Reality itself is subjective. We humans think we have evolved, progressed a whole lot, I am inclined to doubt, that's my subjective reality.

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.