Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Big Picture

Some time ago someone offered me this: We should go about our daily lives with the Big Picture in mind. The BIG PICTURE. Yesterday morning, I saw the 3/4 waning moon hanging in the sky, a pale reminder of just how big stuff out there is. We are just dots, tiny dots on an immense planet, that is just a dot, a tiny dot in a huge solar system. It too is a tiny dot in a gargantuan galaxy, which is also a tiny, lonely dot in a near-infinite Universe. Which all makes me wonder if I am even conscious. Maybe not; maybe we are like ants, a part of a larger organism or like the cells of our bodies, each an individual linked by some mutual purpose.
Further advice was to keep in mind that time doesn't exist and therefore to try seeing everthing in all its' manifestations. Whew. When I look at you, I was to see you as an infant, a child, an adult and to see the eons "before" and "after". Not yet busy enough? There is more. I was to see inside of myself too. How do I feel about all this, where are those feelings occuring in my body, what am I thinking? What am I doing?
The Mayans were a trippy bunch. They thought that something important originates from the Galctic center and they tracked the rotation of the solar system around the Galactic center. These guys and gals calculated dates, precise dates, millions of years into the past. Damn, what ever for? A hobby? An obsession?
Unfortunately, I can't think about all that stuff and ride my bike. I can barely sit and keep the Big Picture in mind. When I do, I get this yawning pit feeling in my gut. It is somewhat unpleasant. I don't know how to label it or what to call it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.