Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Gleaning for a Meaning

What a perfect day! It started with a feeling of insufficient sleep. Similar to the tossing of a coffee hangover, where teeth grinding replaces sleep and maybe at four sweet oblivion descends. Perhaps it is the juicing. I have been juicing fruit and vegetables, big glasses, one after another.
I got up at nine and on my trusty steed, Bikey, made my way to my friend Alan's house. He is home for a few days. His wife made us strong coffee and toast with strawberries. We had a nice long talk, like we used to on Sunday afternoons, touching on current issues, metaphysics, the strange and exploding squirrels. Yeah, you read right. Next I got a call from my little friend Kieran, who had done a commission piece of art for me, a candle decorated with colored beeswax. It was done in a desert scene with cacti and a yellow sun and even a ram's skull. Kieran is a remarkable nine year old. Very creative and precoscious. Good role model for just about anybody.
Then I went gleaning and gathered a basket full of apples , some volunteer cabbage plants, four yellow squashes and a couple of beets. This from a fallow field overgrown with grass and weeds. I went home and started juicing. A neighbor brought me a couple of peaches, fresh from a street side tree, peaches that in the rain glowed with a intensity of color, deep reds and yellows.
I did some stuff and at four went to a bar-b-cue birthday party at a friends' house. Fantastic food and nice people. Right at the end it started raining. We got all the food inside and the coffee was ready. I sat outside with a cigarette and a cup of coffee, watching the refreshing rain. I liked how the sporadic drops would jangle the leaves of decorative grass, like piano keys played by a ghost for a deaf audience.
With a plate-to-go, I pedaled home and got to see a marvelous sunset. A golden light that lit softly the ending of a good day. My cherry tomatoes, ruby shiny globes and red geraniums beaming proud. In the east a double rainbow, a halo for this perfect moment.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.