Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Easy with the Easy

My brain must be thirsty. It is sucking in French words like a mental black hole. For example: Friday night was French lesson night. Every day that ends with a "y" is French lesson day. That evening, I happened upon a real useful phrase, one at least as useful as;" Sorry, I ran over your cat, but I have a great recipe for catsoup." Probably even better than that, so I set about memorizing it. I repeated it at least 15 times and satisfied that I had it in my head, got ready for bed. The next morning the English translation got sucked into the black hole, as did the French phrase. I remember neither. I remember everything else about the event, what music was playing, what time it was, even the web site I was on.
I have a hole in my brain. This is not how to go about learning another language, with a hole in my head. It seems I had similar problems learning Spanish. I had to first learn to hate Spanish before I started to even learn. That took four months. Only then did the black hole burp up a hope of getting it. So, don't say: "French shouldn't be a problem, as you already speak Spanish and French and Spanish are both Romantic languages. It should be easy." EASY? EASY? That 's it, I'm cutting that word up into teensy, teensy bits but not until I stomp on it, jab it with needles, hammer it but good, get it wet and use it improperly in a French sentence.

BTW, we are now officially into a category three writers' block. Weeping highly encouraged.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.