Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Friday, September 07, 2007

Jimmy Wright and the Woodpecker (part 3)

After High School, I joined the Air Force and went to war. After that, I went to College, then I got married and worked for a few years. Then the kids came and then we all moved back to town. We bought a little, affordable fixer on the "Bluffs". The river had chewed on Warren Hill (up to the knees) and our house was about seventy five feet from the steep drop down to the river. That was the back yard and the view was stunning. Since there was no access to the river, it made the house affordable. And it was a two room cabin with a small attached bedroom on a gravel road out in the sticks, that helped also. Anyway, Betty just loved the place and all I heard was "cute", for weeks. Everything was squeelee cute, except me, I was manly. Betty always the diplomat. Oh, did I mention that I was very much in love with her?
I got a job managing a sporting goods store and life was good. Money was tight, with two kids and all, but we didn't mind much, it was enough to scrub, paint and fix, some clearing and raking, a small garden with flowers and tomatoes, a lot of herding the crumb snatchers, you know, it was cute.
Warren Hill looked like a giant, green, two level birthday cake, with sporadic trees sprouting on the steep sides and a pretty good crop on top. Across the road were more cabins, some tucked into the band of trees that edged the slope. So guess who lived about a city block from us? He was renting a tiny cabin, no electricity, no running water, he paid what he could afford. Jimmy had no steady job, no food, no friends and no clue. He had aged some, was taller than I remember, but otherwise looked the same. Lost boyish, mildly wild and a tad deranged, stuffed into some oversized and ancient overalls with a flannel shirt that hung flaggish off his bones. Betty adopted him the moment she spotted him standing in our dirt driveway.
"Honey, who's that?"
"I don't know." An itinerant scarecrow? A rag collector? Is that Jimmy? No! Yes! I recognized him when we got close. What was his last name? Damn.
"That's Jimmy, Sweetheart. Jimmy Fright, I mean Wright." I was flustered.
What is he doing here? From the back seat an eruption of demands to be set free of the car.
"Out. Out. Out." that chant from three year old Jason, who didn't talk much, but made up for it in volume. Maggie the five year old chimed in. Soon as the car door opened they were racing toward Jimmy and then began to pogo bounce in front of him. Jason started chanting again: "UpUpUpUp!" Arms extended skyward. Wait, let me hose the mutt off first..... I slowly approached Jimmy, reluctantly extended my handshake and introduced my family. The kids were behaving like salivating puppies and were trying to convert him into a standing playground. I was amazed and dumbfounded. Betty proposed: "How about a nice lunch! Can you stay for lunch, Jimmy?" A shy nod and flash of a smile.

to be continued......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i say beat the crap out of jimmy.
just when you were gettin things pulled 2 gather, he pops up again on your computer screen. off him. i want this little sad sack out of your life. this little feedbag. this little vampire. what does he want from you anyway?
hooz he think he is anyway? hoo hoo hoo?????????????????????????????

i got someone like that in my life. she calls herself, well i'm not sure she calls herself anything. i call her ma.
all day and all nite she groanz:
you'll be old some day and you'll see. the only one left of your generation. no one wants you around. your a pain in everyone's caboose. you mope all day and than you mope into the evening. you sit around in a musky robe that is beginning to stink like rotten meat. is that urine running down your leg again, you wimp? stop wimpering.

life gets boring for all of us. read a book. pick up a paintbrush. put pen to page. light a candle. pray. curse. sing. let out a warhoop. raid your neighbors fridge some evening when they are least expecting you.
this too shall pass.
do nothing. no think. no thing.

you are knot normal but you try to pretend to be normal until you realize how utterly boring the norm is. hi my name is norm. i am from the morn.
take too aspirin and go to bed. too morrow morn you will be norm.

or what the hell, just be whoever you want to be and whatever you want to be. if your wife wants to have this pogo for lunch, let her have him for lunch. let her cut her stupid ass bangs off her forehead instead of shaving her twat and bang the brains back into jiminey cricket.

boo hoo hoo.
i'm boo and you're hoo.
i'm hoo and you're boo.
pogo and poo coo.

i'm a pooh bear. i live in the woods and i have many friends.
my favorite friend is robin.he goes bob bob bobbin along.

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.