Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Extra Letters

The first thing that strikes you are all the extra letters. They pack them in as if there was a sale at K-Mart and it was just too good of a deal to walk by. We will celebrate our Frenchness by over-letter-ation. One could say they are letterate. It happens in English too, not so much though, we are semi-letterate. None of that going on in Spanish or German. Poor bastards, can't afford it, I guess. Illetterate.
I was listening to an interview about education in Finland last night. Apparently, Finland scores at the top of the education ratings. Guess what? They don't let their kids go to school until they are seven. No kindergarten, mind you. Then, first, they teach them to "be in awe of themselves". Even though the kids are a couple of years behind, they catch up in reading within 4 months.
Did you hear about the (this is not a joke) Chekoslovakian motorcycle racer, age 18, that got into an accident, with a good jarring of his noggin, woke up speaking "perfect" English. Had to have somebody translate for the paramedics. Before that he only knew a few words of English. Didn't know who he was, didn't speak Check, lasted for a couple of hours, if I remember correctly. Chew on that one. No, I do not want whacks to the head to help with my French.
Is it writer's block yet? Not yet.
A single leaf:
A resting dog in the middle of the sun baked street, oblivious to the imperial destinations of human doings, that makes me smile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

talking about a mouthful of unpronoucable syllables, what about German? :)

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.