Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Value of Things

A couple of days ago I suffered an attack of cleanitis. Usually I am able to head off these occasional episodes, using a variety of cures and distractions. Nothing I tried helped. I found myself in the middle of a fullblown episode, broom in hand, sweeping my carpet. It was humiliating.
It was triggered by a piece of trash that, like an uninvited guest, lay idly on my faux Morrocan carpet. The normal state of my floor is what I like to refer to as 'au naturale'. If I have dirt, pine needles, bits of debris, oogies and woogies on the floor, I like to think that it is a sign of my openness to natural processes, embracing change, if you will. Others might label it pigsty housekeeping, but I am reluctant to judge my attitude of 'welcoming diversity' in such a harsh manner.
Now, I have to confess that I am afflicted with a particular mental flaw. I have worked diligently to eradicate this failure of character from my inventory. I have failed so far. I like my floor swept. I admit it. There, I said it. And I can go long on this one, avoiding the inevitable, whiteknuckling my way through the cravings, standing firmly by my ideals, but every so often, I fail miserably.
The leaf that lay on my floor was the trigger. I found myself defenseless. The rigors of my training, no help. Years of dedication to my cause evaporated like vulnerable dew drops to a hot desert sun. I gave myself, willingly, to my compulsion. Perhaps it was deviously placed there by the Temptor himself, the same that lured Eve with his sly and golden tongue, perhaps it was just the vagaries of random chance that the leaf, that beautiful fallen symbol of summer passing, landed there to vex and hex me. And hexed I was. The spell of that leaf had me entranced. It opened a world of reflection, of insight, a glimpse into the anguished horror of beauty. Yes, beauty is just as hard to bear as depravity. Beauty can, by revealing itself, make you want to blind your eyes, blank your mind. If you are able to gaze at it, it is not real beauty. Real beauty shatters the self, scatters defenses, brings tears and waves of shivers as it touches every cell in the body. Worse yet, it can make you write poetry.
That leaf is my prized possession. All else that I own, my vast estates, my dumptrucks of emeralds and rubies, my golden palaces, worthless in comparison. I am a million times wealthier with that leaf, lying there on my carpet, by the door. A simple leaf.
And that was how I fell from grace. I failed to do nothing. I, the one that admonishes you, dear reader, to practice the sublime art, did do. I coveted. I cleaned. I celebrated. I reflected. I sinned, I admit. I did all that, to avoid the pain of beauty.
It lies there, where I so carefully replaced it after my 'episode', a reminder to my failure, my cowardice, my treason against this gift from God. I am not worthy. I am a cracked vessel. A shard at best. I have left that leaf there to remind myself that I am a hypocrite. I pretend to seek beauty, I write about it, speak eloquently even, but in reality, I am a hollow man, a despicable "do-er".
Gentle Reader, take this fall of mine to heart. Let me be the example of what not to do, when given the chance to see the world as it really is, open your heart to it, brace yourself for the jolt of actuality. Don't do as I did. Do not be distracted by useless do-ing. Practice the art faithfully and lead the way for me.
I will remain your humble servant;
Roberto Kiam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not a failure, if you think so, that is the work of the modern devil of the Do people, who spend their short life doing, not necessarily by enjoyment, but doing to gain and accumulate. How many people would consider a fallen leaf, a stain of light reflected on the ceiling, as a gift? How many people would actually notice? For that is another thing our ever doing mode has done to us: we've been blinded. We don't see the world anymore, except through the delusive prisma of the accumulate frenzy, that screens us from Reality. Most people would tell you, at best, "I wish I could indulge in observing, but I haven't got the time." Wrong. Contemplation can happen anytime if you're not shutting yourself off. A contemplative moment IS life, since it reconnects you with the essence of life: a fallen leaf, a drop of water, a leaf shivering when tickled by the wind. What have we done to ourselves, that we seem not to be part of the living world anymore?
Most people don't even ever become aware of this, and go to their grave without having having ever been truly ALIVE.
Being able to perceive these little happenings of nature is a blessing. Most people have lost contact with their own true self as a consequence of turning away from this.
Stay tuned!

Unknown said...

i have a multitude of fetishes and cleaning is one. i have to check it and amend it to avoid becoming a neat freak, a title that has no appeal. but here's why. i like to spend lots of time close to or on the floor. my furniture keeps growing shorter. i sleep on a bedroll on the floor. when you are so close to your floor, you grow intimate with every single crumb and dust bunny. i do not mind so much the crumbs, but the dust bunnies, i admit give me the willies. i prefer wood and tile, but am less picky now that i am living in a bungalow with a cheap but clean knotty subdued red carpet in the bedroom and light grey lineoleum in the kitchen, bath and living room. (as opposed to what? the dead rooms?)
i find myself less fussy. wood is harder to keep clean because it is more living. rugs, they just grab the grit and bury it. so, i really dislike wearing shoes indoors. when i wear shoes in anyone's home i feel like a soldier.
i heard that a way large majority of dust is dead skin cells.
i really don't mind the occasional spider and as long as they are tiny and non muscular, i let them co habitate. the bigger spiders and also wormy sorts, get jarred and carted out.
but for me, the housekeeping is therapy. like some people who enjoy knitting or crow shaying. i love pickng through my treasures and just sort of checkng in. we have a history. i like organizing stuff and moving it around and making my life easier when possible. my stuff tells me: i would be better off over there and my stuff is always right.
now i have a new challenge. i have way way less space than i have had for many many moons and i am going to cram all my treasures in as soon as the moving company arrives early next week.
thankfully i have a deck porch with a half way beamed out roof top and i can store quite a few boxes on the porch until i can sorth through them.
i have had a moving thing going this past year. i moved from cincinnati to la conner and from la conner to oxford and from oxford to sanibel island florida. well almost, enroute i called the movers and asked them to put my belonging in storage in savannah where they remain until friday, being tommorow, at which time they will load up and come home to oxford. i am really really ready. and while part of me shivers at the overwhelming task of every fucking material belonging that i own packed and wrapped, and all of it to be dropped off in this chaotic 4 to 5 hours that it will take the movers, with little rhyme or reason; i have to admit, it is also a bit like christmas. oh yeh, i forgot about this and this and this and i am so happy to have that and that and that; and where will i put you all. right now i am mostly thinking about my garden tools and my bike. and my earrings.
i have a lot of stuff and i have also passed off a lot lot of stuff this past year. trimmed my sails big time: dishes, pans, clothes, furniture, jewelry, art objects, linens, you name it.
that is really really good to do. i wrapped and bowed some of it and brought it to the local charity and they LOVED it! i actually took a few things from the charity before i moved. i like musical stuff.
my guitar. i will be glad to get my guitar back even though i have not yet learned to play it. i've been traveling for one full year, with some time outs. now i am taking a six month at least time out to remain in oxford. i am out of the comfort zone with staying in one place. i am more comfortable with gas up and get out. and i think this is at the root of the race issue where the black man has a hard time staying put; it is in their genes. they got moved around alot. just after a year of it; i feel this restless energy and this itchy feet thing going on. i need the certainty of nabelle's heels attaching themselves unmistakeable to the floor.
gida

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.