Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Thursday, October 04, 2007

the Suchness of Lannee Prochaine

I had never been to a meeting this size. The Great Hall was completely full and even Beelzubub was there, way up in front with the other archdevils. He was in high demand,business here and there, spreading pestilence. I heard of a big cholera job he did somewhere in Africa. As a little sideline, sprinkled in some ebola. Wiped about haf the population. Beautiful. Dedication to the cause, I tell you. That tells you something about theimportance of this meeting. Of course he had his everpresent horde of dominions with him. Those flies were thick, as was the stench. I was glad to be in the back. I don't know how the poor devils in the front were breathing.
We were packed in there shoulder to shoulder, paunch to back. Long, orderly lines, row after row. I looked around. Must have been 100,000 case managers jammed in. Something big was brewing. A fly landed on my cheek. It was scurrying around at the end of my nose. I could strongly smell the stench of Beelzy on it. Yeah, that's what we call him. Beelzy.
I forgot about the fly when the commotion started. Something going on at the back by the great doorway. I craned my neck to get a look. A VIP procession slowly making their way to the stage. Some wayuppy, gotta be, I thought. Then I heard the whispers around me.Satan. It's Satan himself. You could feel the excitement. It rose to a roar as the Great Adversary, Lucifers' Lawyer, mounted the stage. He strode to the podium and held up his arm, commanding silence. Quiet came quickly, all you heard was the frenzied murmur of the fog of flies clouding Beelzy. Without a doubt, Satan endeared himself to all of us when he gazed on Beelzy and ordered him to go forth and spread Pestilece. He added that Beelzy had done great work and his presence was direly needed elsewhere. Everyone nodded heads in collective agreement. Those up front nodding with more enthusiasm. With much robe swishing and grandeur, Beelzebub slowly trundled to the great doorway, devils thankfully making way, a lot of way, for him and his retinue.
Yes, smell is important to us, to angels also. It was smell that started the whole thing, the rebellion of the angels. But I am getting ahead of myself. There he was on stage, the mighty Satan, he who debated so effectively and still does, with God. What an inspiration to me and so many others. As his glowing and penetrating eyes swept across the great hall, light moans escaped the mouths of the gathered. Satan the All Seeing, truly each one of us felt his eyes touch all and every one, collectively and singly. When he began speaking, he spoke slow and low. Our shivering bodies leaned forward to catch the nuances of his words, drinking the richness of his voice, swaying in rythm to his cadence. Truthfully, I remember nothing of what he said until I heard this short and cutting sentence: "There is a problem."
He paused, long and uncomfortably. We were looking around, to spot the problem, to seize it and render it done. We looked at each other in suspicion, then inside, at own selves. I didn't know what I had done, but I was profoundly sorry, nearly anguished. "Does anyone know who Lannee Prochaine is?" The sense of relief I felt was shortlived. I was grateful that it was someone else, not I, who was the problem. Lannee Prochaine, Lanee, no, I didn't know...
It was as if Satan was looking directly at me, accusatory. Doubt flashed in my mind. Lannee Prochaine, I couldn't think. A sinking feeling burned down to my gut as my trembling right arm raised itself, hesitantly and deaf to my protesting denials. Satan was looking directly at me. "Are you his case manager?" I mumbled and stuttered, confused. I was angry with my traitorous right arm, that rose to single me out, out of anonymity, to expose me to the glare of the Accuser. "Please come to see me directly after this meeting." Satan said 'please' to me. The shot of joy that went through me was more than elating. I was ecstatic. Then I remember Lannee Prochaine. Yes, he was my charge, but I was puzzled. Lannee was less than a nobody. How? Could ? HE? Be a problem?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.