Inflicting thoughts on unwary readers so that I can improve my tyqing skills

Monday, May 29, 2006

I've been watching

About the most ubiquitous electronic appliance in America is the television. I own the aparatus for receiving the signal, but do not utilize it. I got the TV for free. It is very easy to get a free TV. Nearly everyone has an extra TV and if you say that you are TV-less, within minutes they get you hooked-in. It is nearly a religion. I have been house and dog sitting and I've been watching. I am horribly addicted to TV, ever since I was a kid. The only way to mitigate my addiction is to say "No". Nancy Reagan would be proud of me. At this house I can't just say "No", I say "Yessir". And I watch and watch and watch.
One officially enters the television wasteland after midnight. Strange things begin to happen. I know I am tired and should go to bed, but I need to finish the movie or look for another program. With the remote control, the TV becomes totally non-physical, except the pointing finger that activates the channel flipper. My body melts into the couch. My brain blanks out. Only a small part of my brain does anything other than absorb the pablum spewing forth. That part is the quiet, sane part of me and it is no longer quiet. It is screaming. Turn this crap off and go to bed. What are you doing? Look at yourself, you are akin to nose snot, slime-ball! I studiously avoid hearing the voice of reason. Gee, aren't these comercials good!
Actually, the comercials are better than ever. Somebody expained to me that with the advent of TIVO, TV programs can be recorded while skipping the commercials. It is forcing the buy buy propagandists to resort to something much more creative so as to get the people to watch the commercials willingly. I even saw a talking gecko explain how that works (in a commercial). Cool. Another commercial gave the definition of inner strenght as a combination of knowing oneself and being connected to others. I was impressed, about the best working definition I've heard. Cool. Luckily I only have about a week of this before I return to my saner life of drinking smoking and carousing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

About Me

My photo
I live in a quaint, little town, plagued with the specter of speculation and commerce. I am trailer trash,with wishes for good dishes. I shoulda died long ago, but like a rescue dog, didn't. I am indescribably scattered. I speak three languages. I walk a tenuously, true path. I am lucky. For myself, for others. God, it is said, protects orphans, widows and the innocent.